A full list of Stephen King works is located at the bottom of the blog.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The EPIC Dark Tower Read-a-Long: Sept 2012--July 2013


Welcome to the EPIC Dark Tower Read-a-Long.  Of course, we are huge Stephen King fans.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be hosting this challenge.  I have been wanting to get to this series for years and I thought, "What better way than a read-a-long?"  And us readers love to do things in a big way, especially those of us who love read-a-thons, challenges, read-a-longs and the like.  Below I will list the monthly break down.  The really long books will be two month read-a-longs.  The week before each month starts, I will post the reading/posting schedule for the particular book we're reading that month.  I am adding a linky to this post just so I can keep up with who is participating.  Don't worry...I'm not a big stickler on rules.  If you get behind, I'm not going to turn one of SK's monsters loose on you.  ;O)  I hope you will join us! Be sure to grab the button above and spread the word!

Note:  If you've already read some of the books, feel free to jump in with the ones you haven't read, and you are welcome to join in on any of the discussions.

September--The Gunslinger, Book 1
October--The Drawing of the Three, Book 2
November--The Waste Lands, Book 3
December/January--Wizard and Glass, Book 4
February--The Wind Through the Keyhole, Book 4.5
March/April--Wolves of the Calla, Book 5
May--Song of Susannah, Book 6
June/July--The Dark Tower, Book 7
Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

17 comments:

  1. I think this is a FABULOUS idea! And I hope more people sign up! I've read the first few books, but it's such an epic read that I always end up getting stuck and sitting it aside. I'm sure breaking it down like this will help.

    For a full Dark Tower experience, I was wondering if you want to add The Eyes of the Dragon, which is a prelude to The Dark Tower series, and/or The Little Sisters of Eluria, which is The Dark Tower 0.5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have The Eyes of the Dragon as well! Where would that one fit in? I don't have The Little Sisters of Elvria, though. I'll have to hunt that one down.

      Delete
    2. I just tracked down The Little Sisters of Eluria audiobook at the library. So, I'm game to add these 2 to the list if Michelle wants to do it!

      Delete
    3. Isn't Flagg from The Eyes of the Dragon the villain in The Stand? Maybe we should follow-up the read-a-long of The Dark Tower series with The Stand?

      I just checked Audible, and the audiobook for The Stand clocks in at nearly 48 hrs!! Oh, my!

      Delete
    4. You're right Darlene, he is! I had completely forgotten that. I'm game for reading The Stand at the end. I've been meaning to re-read it for some time.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea, Michelle! I've always wanted to read this series, and I like how you have spread it out so that it doesn't feel so overwhelming for those of us that are slower readers or don't have a lot of free time!

    I know I have some of the books in printed copy, but I also think I have the entire series in audio format so I'll be listening along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'd love to join this challenge. I have a lot of these books but haven't started them. I did read Gunslinger many years ago and really enjoyed it, but can't remember much of it. I'd be happy to read Eyes of the Dragon and Little Sister too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for such a great challenge - I've wanted to read these books for ages and it's much easier to spread them out like this I reckon. I'll probably be getting each of them from the library so I hope they're all there, hehe. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea! Last year I read 'The Gunslinger' and I really liked :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't need another challenge/read-a-Long/RaT but guess what?

    I signed up! My son has all/most of the books and he's already on book 3 so I'm sure I can borrow them.

    thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this challenge idea! I started the series years ago but never finished so this will be an ideal chance to reread and finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted to do some type of blog challenge. As an avid reader I love the idea of this one. My name is Amanda & I'm from Everything For Modern Moms (http://EverythingForModernMoms.blogspot.com). I'd love to join!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Book One, THE GUNSLINGER, in July 2012 for the Stephen King Challenge. So I'll start the DARK TOWER read-a-long in October with Book Two, THE DRAWING OF THE THREE. I look forward to everyone's posts about Book One, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better late than never, I wanna play too! I love this idea! Can't wait to get started. I love Stephen King and I've never read this series, despite ogling it in the library for years...
    (http://christinarosendahl.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/the-epic-dark-tower-read-a-long/)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like fun! I already finished the first two books years ago and planned on starting with the third one soon. Perfect timing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, I know I am a little late but I've wanted to read these books for months now and this challenge is a great opportunity! :-)

    ReplyDelete